Have you been kind to yourself today? Have you put yourself first?
We can all do with better and kinder self-talk. We go through our lives and get distracted and ‘bogged down’ with the general stresses and strains of life. We work hard with never-ending to-do lists, we have a million and one things to complete before a deadline and on top of this, we may have children to look after and sometimes it can all be incredibly overwhelming!
And then we stop. Just for a moment. We ask, “What have I done for me today?” This is a really important question and it wouldn’t be a surprise if many answered, “nothing”.
As the infamous quote says, “we can’t fill from an empty cup”. How can we support, love and look after others if we don’t look after ourselves? Can we be the best versions of ourselves if we don’t look after our mental health and well-being?
If you’re wondering, what could I do to take time for myself? then have a read down below of some small yet simple things you can do:
- Have a bath. Fill it with bath salts and surround yourself with natural candles.
- Go for a walk. Sometimes, 5-10 minutes out in the fresh air can make us feel fresher and give our brains some time to reset and recharge.
- Drink water; this one is underrated but your brain and body needs water. Ensure you drink a minimum of 2L of water each day to feel fresh.
- Read a book. Find a genre you’re in to. What interests you? Self help? Personal Development? Or is it fiction; fantasy, historical or romance. Start with 5 minutes first and try and increase the time over a few days. This is our time to escape into another world.
And being kind to yourself? Here’s a few ideas:
- Say NO! – Yes, say no to things you don’t want to do. You don’t always have to say yes. Think about yourself! If you’re tired, say no and get some rest. If you’re ill, say no and choose to recuperate your body. If you’re not financially able to do something, say no! Don’t break your bank even more.
- Positive mindset. This one can be overlooked but just changing your thoughts from negative into positive can make a massive difference. It’s the self-fulfilling prophecy; think positive, feel positive. Think negative, feel negative.
Remember to be kind to yourself. You’re unique and special. Look after and love yourself so you can look after and love others.